Cristiano Ronaldo has marched into the history books with one of his trademark headers against Valencia. Zinedine Zidane’s side needed a win to stay ahead of Barcelona in the title race and they managed to beat Los Che 2-1 thanks to a first-half header from the Portuguese forward and a late Marcelo winner.
With that header, Ronaldo moved on to 367 goals in club football – for Sporting Lisbon, Manchester United, and Real Madrid combined. This means that he has now scored more goals in Europe’s top six leagues than any other player in history!
Jimmy Greaves held the honour for nigh on half-a-century (the last of his top-flight goals coming for West Ham United). Greavesy’s 366 goals were scored across a brilliant decade-and-a-half at the top with Chelsea (124), AC Milan (9), Tottenham Hotspur (220) and the aforementioned West Ham (13).
The Englishman took 528 games to get to the landmark, while the phenomenon that is Cristiano Ronaldo has done it in just 483. And to think he’s not even a full-blown striker!
Breakdown of Ronaldo’s goals
– Sporting CP (3)
– Manchester United (84)
– Real Madrid (280)
Most league goals (only top 6 European leagues)
1) Ronaldo (367)
2) Jimmy Greaves (366)
3) Gerd Muller (365)
4) Lionel Messi (345)
5) Steve Bloomer (317)
Other records and milestones Ronaldo and Real Madrid set
1) Today marks a year ago from the last time that Real Madrid did not score in a game. Since then, they’ve banged in 157 goals in 57 matches (all competitions). They are creeping in ever closer to Bayern Munich’s record of consecutive games in which they’ve scored at least once.
2) As for the league, ah! Real Madrid have scored in EACH of their last 47 La Liga matches, the club’s best ever run in La Liga.
3) Cristiano’s goal was Real Madrid’s 150th goal of the season so far in all competitions. Yes, they like to score goals!
4) Ronaldo has now scored 20+ league goals in ALL of his 8 seasons with Real Madrid.
5) Oh, and it’s not Ronaldo doing well – his connection with the full backs is so very good! Carvajal (10 assists) is the defender with the 2nd most assists in ALL of the Top 5 Leagues this season (behind Marcelo, who has 11).
6) Cristiano Ronaldo has now scored 33 headed league goals since 2012/13, more than any other player in Europe’s top five leagues.
7) Personal record: Cristiano Ronaldo now has 590 goals in his professional senior career as a footballer.
Another day, another record – just another day in the life of Cristiano Ronaldo.
Share on Facebook